Criminal Defense Lawyer – Choosing the Right One

Choosing and employing a criminal defense lawyer early on in any case is the best way to increase one’s probability of success in any criminal trial. Many of the more prominent people in society already have a battery of lawyers at their behest that spring into action whenever any legal problem arises.

You may not be one of these high profile people, and you may not have employed an attorney as of yet because a) you do not really have a need for them yet or b) they are, of course, too expensive to just have on hand. But even given this you will have to keep in mind that in the case of an impending criminal trial, choosing and hiring a good lawyer early on is your top priority.

In fact, the outcome of your entire case may even hinge on whether this single matter alone. If you hire a lawyer early on, there is a chance that, due to his or her timely actions, there will be no need for any case and trial at all. You might just be able to dodge the bullet on time.

Your choice of lawyer can also affect the amount and quality of evidence that is allowable by law to police and investigators. This alone is reason enough to hire good lawyers with good grasp of such kinds of investigation practice. If you have been watching enough trial TV, you will notice that many trials drag on endlessly only to argue whether an evidence is acceptable in the court of law.

This is important because some cases decisions all depend on sometimes just one piece of crucial evidence in a case. If you do not have expert advice this early in the ball game then you might have just lost your case right on the outset.

Whether or not you are in a bind to find a good criminal defense lawyer, it would be good to keep in mind these pointers on determining a good criminal defense attorney.

1. Lawyer Specialization

Look at the lawyer’s background. Does he or she have specialization in criminal defense? Just because on is an attorney does not mean that he or she automatically qualifies as a good criminal defense lawyer.

Lawyers are a lot like doctors. And the legal field is pretty much similar to the medical field. There is a host of specializations and fortes making having one lawyer adept at all close to impossible. And in the same wise that you wouldn’t trust a brain operation on a dermatologist, you should stick to a defense crime lawyer when you need such representation in cases.

Also look at past case performance to see if the lawyer is fit to represent you fully in your case. If the lawyer has had experience in cases similar to yours, and has been able to perform well and respectably, then that would be a good thing to look out for.

2. Try Him for the First 30 Minutes

You will probably decide whether the lawyer is worth it during the first 30 minutes of meeting the person. While the first few minutes of meeting will not give you an accurate gauge of the lawyer’s services, it will still give you enough information to decide whether the person should represent you at all.

Pay close attention to how the lawyer listens to you during the initial interview. Does the lawyer listen intently paying close attention to details and asking pertinent questions at crucial junctures? Or is the lawyer just blowing by the interview and missing important details?

Look at the lawyer’s body language as well; you will be able to find out whether he or she is interested in the case itself. If the lawyer is showing a little boredom at your case, then it would be safe to consider other lawyers for the practice – unless the particular lawyer is a known genius and pulls through even with such demeanor.

However, if you want to play safe, then it would be a good bet to find a lawyer the listens intently, is interested in your case, and is not aloof and overbearing in dealing with you.

3. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask Questions

Do not, at all costs, be afraid to ask questions. Matters such as bills, scope of the case, payment details, and other matters should not be an esoteric exercise. Everything should be transparent and open.

Your lawyer should not tire of explaining and elucidating legal terms and strategies regarding your case. It is your head, after all, that is on the line. The lawyer should cooperate and interact with you on the case.

Conclusion

Good lawyers are not that rare. However, a good lawyer that fits your case and your personality perfectly is. Make sure you have enough time to choose and evaluate those that will represent you in the court of law.

Relationships are hard. Most marriages end in divorce. Proper divorce planning helps you keep your property and prevents you from paying alimony in the event of a failed marriage. You need a good divorce lawyer such as Rob Turner, perhaps the best divorce lawyer in Nashville, Tennessee. Contact Turner Law Offices, P.C. to speak with Mr. Turner for pre-marital counseling. A valid prenuptial agreement will make all the difference in the event your marriage fails. Call today at (615) 259-2660 for your free initial consultation. Divorce can cause chronic stress and lasting distruptions. A lack of familiarity with your state's laws can put you at a disadvantage, adding to your stress. A consultation with a skilled family law attorney about divorce in Tulsa can help ease the stress that can accompany planning and considering divorce.

How to Chose and Hire a Divorce Lawyer Who Is Right For You

Finding the right attorney for your divorce can be a real challenge. It requires asking specific questions and taking specific steps to determine which attorney is best for you in your own special case. Choosing the wrong attorney may ultimately cost you a great deal of money, time, and frustration.

Divorce can be a highly emotional, stressful, and intimidating process. There is almost no area of the law which requires as much paper work or the filling out and filing of forms and other documents. This process can be confusing and costly, both financially and emotionally.

As a result, your choice of a divorce lawyer may be one of the most important decisions you make in your case.

Not every lawyer will be right for you. You must be sure that your philosophy of how to handle your divorce case matches that of your lawyer, and that the two of you are ‘on the same page.’ Because of this, you must ask questions and gather information which reveal the attorney’s philosophy for handling divorces.

This guide will help you understand the important facts and questions you must know and deal with when selecting your divorce attorney. By understanding how to select the right divorce lawyer for you and your special case, you will get through your divorce with the least amount of cost and stress.

Researching Your Lawyer

Once you have selected a lawyer to meet with, the next thing you should do is to find out about the lawyer’s professional experience and background. There are several ways to do this:

1. Search the Internet: Make a Google search for your lawyer. Look for a legal blog, a website, news stories quoting or featuring the attorney, and other online information. Ideally, your lawyer should devote almost all of his or her practice to divorce law.

2. Contact the New York State Office of Court Administration: This office can tell you when the attorney was admitted to practice law in New York, where he or she went to school and when he or she graduated, and whether the attorney is in good standing or has a record of disciplinary actions.

3. Ask Around: You should ask your circle of friends and professional advisers (accountants, attorneys, marriage therapists, etc) what they know about the attorney, or if they know someone who does know about the attorney.

Contacting the Lawyer’s Office and Scheduling Your Initial Consultation

Now that you have selected a lawyer to interview and have done research on him or her, the next step is to contact the lawyer’s office and schedule an appointment. You can learn a lot about how your lawyer will behave if you retain him or her just by how he or she handles the simple but important task of scheduling a meeting with you, a potential new client.

You should first contact the attorney’s office by telephone or e-mail and request an appointment. When you do this, it is important to tell the lawyer’s office that you would like to discuss a divorce case.

Take careful note of how quickly your message is answered. Your inquiry should always be answered promptly, and that means within 24 hours. If the lawyer you contacted cannot manage to reply to a potential new client who is bringing him or her a new case and therefore new fees, that fact should tell you something about how he or she will behave once he or she already has your money.

Also, pay close attention to who you deal with in setting the appointment and how you are treated. Most good divorce lawyers rely on an assistant to schedule their appointments, and that person is very often responsible for much of the day to day communications and interactions with you once you hire your attorney. If you are not comfortable with the assistant who sets your appointment, it is a sign that the attorney may not be right for you and your case.

Finally, you should ask about the cost of the initial consultation. A good divorce lawyer will often charge an initial consultation fee equal to one hour of his or her time at their usual hourly rate. This fee usually is credited to your account if you eventually hire the attorney.

Visiting Your Lawyer’s Office; What You See and Hear is What You Get

The experience of meeting your lawyer at his or her office is critical to determining whether this attorney is a good fit for you and your special case. An attorney’s office is, in effect, his or her professional home. And the rules that apply to a lawyer’s professional home are the same as those that apply to your own home. So, you should pay careful attention to what you see and hear in your lawyer’s office.

1. Visit during normal business hours. I try to encourage my potential new clients to visit my office during normal hours when my staff is present. Why? Because I want them to meet my staff and see just how well they take care of clients. While I also keep night hours for the convenience of some potential clients, those clients do not get the opportunity to observe the office fully at work. So, in order to be able to observe the attorney, the office, and staff in their normal work routine, I suggest you schedule your appointment during normal business hours whenever possible.

2. Is the office neat and clean? This tells you something about how organized and focused the lawyer is. If the office is a mess and there are papers and files everywhere, imagine how that will affect the lawyer’s ability to find your file and deal with your case at critical moments.

3. How does the attorney and his or her employee’s behave towards you and each other? It is important to observe how the lawyer’s staff treat you and each other during your visit. What you see when you are there is likely to be their best behavior. If you are not well taken care of during your visit or you observe inappropriate behavior during your visit, you can be certain this conduct will get worse once you are a client of the firm and the attorney has your money in hand.

Interviewing Your Lawyer; 9 Questions You Should Always Ask

Preparing for your interview with your lawyer will help you make a better and more informed decision. You should organize discussion topics prior to meeting and bring with you any relevant paperwork. Your lawyer may need some of the documents you bring with you so be prepared and retain copies for your own records. If you can, you should write down dates and times of events, the names and addresses of any witnesses and any other important facts.

You should try to understand that lawyers have professional and ethical commitments to all of their other clients, so you should expect your interview to last about 30-45 minutes on average.

During the interview, you will be able to tell your attorney why you are getting divorced, and what problems need to be addressed regarding your children, your property, and your debts.

At some point during the meeting, you should be able to ask questions about your case. You should try and write down as many of your questions as you can before the meeting so that you make sure you remember to ask them.
In my experience, there are nine questions you should always ask a divorce lawyer during your interview. The answers to these questions will tell you a good deal about your attorney and if he or she is right for you.

1. How much experience do you have with cases like mine?
2. How much of your practice is devoted to divorce law?
3. What other types of cases do you handle?
4. How do you communicate with clients? For example, e-mail, text message, telephone, regular mail?
5. How fast do you answer calls and other communications from clients?
6. How much will your services cost me, and what is your upfront retainer fee?
7. Do you bill for normal business ‘overhead’ such as faxes, postage, and photocopies?
8. How long does a case like mine usually take if there are no unusual developments?
9. What is your philosophy or style of handling divorces? Why?

Deciding Which Lawyer is Right for You

While you are interviewing a lawyer, you should listen carefully to the answers provided. You should also pay extremely close attention to your lawyer’s personality, his or her manners and behavior, and how you feel during the interview. How does the attorney make you feel? Comfortable? At ease? Does he or she treat you as an equal and with respect? Or do you feel like the attorney has a superior attitude and talks down to you? Has the lawyer spent meaningful time with you and provided answers to your questions and concerns in a friendly and appropriate manner?

How you feel about your lawyer and how he or she behaves towards you will absolutely affect your ability to trust and communicate effectively with that person over emotional and highly personal matters. After the interview, assess the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate. Did the lawyer listen to you? Did the lawyer provide enough information to make you feel comfortable that he or she knew the law and procedure in your county? Did you feel confident?

Once you have reviewed and considered the interview and how the attorney behaved and made you feel, what you saw and heard in dealing with the attorney’s office in scheduling and conducting the interview, the answers to your questions, and the costs and fees for hiring the attorney, you now have the information and experiences necessary to decide which attorney best suits your needs.

Relationships are hard. Most marriages end in divorce. Proper divorce planning helps you keep your property and prevents you from paying alimony in the event of a failed marriage. You need a good divorce lawyer such as Rob Turner, perhaps the best divorce lawyer in Nashville, Tennessee. Contact Turner Law Offices, P.C. to speak with Mr. Turner for pre-marital counseling. A valid prenuptial agreement will make all the difference in the event your marriage fails. Call today at (615) 259-2660 for your free initial consultation. Divorce can cause chronic stress and lasting distruptions. A lack of familiarity with your state's laws can put you at a disadvantage, adding to your stress. A consultation with a skilled family law attorney about divorce in Tulsa can help ease the stress that can accompany planning and considering divorce.

What to Look For When You’re Seeking a Lawyer

What is a win in Canadian law? It could be a reduced sentence, bail release, time served included in sentencing, serving time on weekends, and plea bargaining. It can also mean being found innocent of wrongful charges. When your future is at stake, having a good Canadian lawyer to represent you against the crown’s charges or a suit brought against you, could mean saving your life.

If you’ve been charged and unprepared, you may think that a court appointed lawyer might be good enough. For suits that involve relatively low money amounts, such representation might suffice. If you’re charged with a DUI offense or assault charge, facing a divorce, or have been fired for no just cause, the consequences of a verdict against you may be ruinous. You need to take your time and find a lawyer who can present your case clearly and convincingly.

If you have a legal issue, you might be tempted to look online where you could find legal services that use a 1 800 line similar to those used by sex talk lines. This is probably not a good idea. The advice you get could send you off on the wrong tangent with contact with shady legal service providers. You should get a lead to speak to a real lawyer. Most services will want to get some info about your case, so don’t be shy about telling them. You’re probably in a hurry, but when speaking to a lawyer, there are key things you need to cover.

If you’re fighting criminal charges, or are threatened with the loss of your drivers license and being fired from your job, it makes sense to look for a reputable legal referral service. The price might be higher, but this is no time to go bargain hunting. You get the service pay for, so free might be the last solution you want.

Hiring a Lawyer

After you’ve been charged by police, you should not say anything more than you would like to confer with your lawyer. Remember that anything you say will be used against you. It’s standard practice so don’t doubt it. You could end up being your own worst witness. Prosecutors can interpret your words any which way when you’re in court. You’ll be horrified when your own words end up convicting you.

Hiring a lawyer early in the action against you can affect whether a criminal charge will be laid, whether you can achieve bail or a release pending the completion of the case against you, the quantity and quality of evidence collected by the police, and the quality of defence strategies you could use. Once you set sail on a particular legal defense, it may be impossible to change.

Your bail hearing is particularly important. If you are held in custody, there will be no way for you to assist in collecting evidence and testimony to exonerate you. It won’t take long for you to discover whether a lawyer can and will represent you well. Some of things you need to consider are:

> Does this lawyer practice this particular type of legal case you face?

> What is his experience and background in this particular area?

> What legal resources does this lawyer have access to?

> Does the lawyer show/explain he has listened to you and understands your case and questions?

> Has your lawyer discussed the charges against you with you?

> Has your lawyer discussed how the criminal justice system operates?

> Has your lawyer discussed what he hopes to do for me and my case?

> Will this lawyer keep you informed of what is and has taken place?

> Has the lawyer discussed fee structures and how your fee will be calculated?

> After discussing the case, do you feel confident of this lawyer?

> Is this lawyer truly interested in representing you?

> Can you reach this lawyers easily or is he always busy?

A few organizations have launched a lawyer review process but rating lawyers competence is difficult and sometimes not done in an objective way. A lawyer with a good winning record with few tough situations to handle in his cases might get a good rating, while others who have handle really tough cases might get a lesser rating. The human factor always comes into play in assessing a lawyer.

Ideally, what you need is a reliable lawyer referral service that takes care to contact and work with good quality lawyers with particular expertise and specialization in the legal areas that you will be involved in. When a referral service demonstrates its in-depth connection to particular law firms, it is a good sign of integrity. These firms may have a website with information on them that helps understand your situation and show they have the resources, knowledge and experience to help you.

Since your first experience in working in the Canadian Legal System is likely to be confusing and awkward, you need to work with someone you trust and who can devote the time to represent you well. A low cost or free legal service is always suspect because the lawyer won’t have time to research, prepare and represent you well.

Relationships are hard. Most marriages end in divorce. Proper divorce planning helps you keep your property and prevents you from paying alimony in the event of a failed marriage. You need a good divorce lawyer such as Rob Turner, perhaps the best divorce lawyer in Nashville, Tennessee. Contact Turner Law Offices, P.C. to speak with Mr. Turner for pre-marital counseling. A valid prenuptial agreement will make all the difference in the event your marriage fails. Call today at (615) 259-2660 for your free initial consultation. Divorce can cause chronic stress and lasting distruptions. A lack of familiarity with your state's laws can put you at a disadvantage, adding to your stress. A consultation with a skilled family law attorney about divorce in Tulsa can help ease the stress that can accompany planning and considering divorce.